Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Eating Our Way Through Vienna


Our long weekend in Vienna was filled lots of food and drink.  In addition to local Austrian beers we drank cup after cup of hot coffee in an attempt to chase away the winter chill.  This wasn't the coffee we have grown accustomed to here in Albania; in Vienna coffee is served with a flourish and is often topped with thick whipped cream with a liqueur being a delicious, but optional, addition.  I knew I would love the pastries, from chocolate to strudel and everything in between.  My surprise discovery, however, was shredded fresh horseradish.  While mild, it was still too strong for me to eat by itself.  As an accompaniment to meat, however, it was to die for.  (I am now on a quest to find fresh horseradish here in Albania.  Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can find some?)

Here are a few of my favorite foods from this weekend.  Enjoy!




Warm sweet rolls filled with berry jelly from Cafe Leopold Hawelka


Cappuccino -- always served on a silver tray with a small glass of water

Fried pig knuckle served with shredded fresh horseradish & Wiener Schnitzel at Alstadbrau
Viennese coffee--espresso topped with whipped cream

The traditional warm apple strudel with berries in vanilla sauce 

I love coffee served in glass stemware this coffee has whipped cream and orange liqueur

A warm chocolate cake served filled with a molten chocolate sauce

And of course, a traditional Viennese sausage served with more shredded horseradish

No comments:

Post a Comment